If you are configuring VLC Remote manually to connect to a computer, you'll need to provide the computer's 'Address'
You can enter any internet address which contacts the remote.
- IP address
- This is the most common option. You can get your IP address from the 'connection help' button on the VLC Remote helper.
- It will be something like 192.168.1.1
- VLC Remote will add the 'http://' automatically and assume port 8080
- If you are on linux, you can type ifconfig in the terminal to get your IP addresses
- IP with port
- If you want to use a custom port, you can enter something like 192.168.1.1:9090
- Local address
- If your local network supports it, you can sometimes connect with a local address like 'myComputer.myRouter'
- Dynamic address
- If you have a dynamic address, then you can connect over the internet, though this is likely to be slow and painful